[developers] "Quite" problematic: MRS -> EDS conversion

Guy Emerson gete2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 11:21:03 CEST 2018

For "It was in January that Browne was hired", is the MRS correct?  I was
surprised to see both _in_p_temp and loc_nonsp mediating between mofy(Jan)
and _hire_v_1.  Is there a reason to have both?  It would seem more
consistent to have just _in_p_temp, which takes the intrinsic variable of
_hire_v_1 as its ARG1.  This would match the MRS for "Brown was hired in
January".  Adding the it-cleft seems to have the side effect of adding
loc_nonsp.

The reason this is relevant is that, without the loc_nonsp, there would be
no need to look at TENSE.