[developers] Wiki pages about SMI

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 03:38:50 CEST 2019

Hi Alexandre,

tl;dr:

RFC wikis are more technical and aimed at tool developers while the other
wikis are aimed at tool users and grammar developers. There is overlap, but
I think it's useful having both.

longer answer:

I've been putting wikis under the "RFC" heading (
http://moin.delph-in.net/DelphinRfcs) that contain more technical
specifications than the other wikis. The other wikis generally do a better
job at providing an overview, context, history, and usage notes. The RFC
pages contain information for tool developers rather than users of the
tools (such as syntax descriptions of serializations, descriptions of valid
structures, suggestions for implementation, etc.), although the latter
audience can sometimes benefit as well. The goals are outlined here:
http://moin.delph-in.net/FormatSpecifications (I've now linked this from
the DelphinRfcs page).

In practice, I often start an RFC page to gather and distill the technical
information that I need to implement something in PyDelphin. This
information is present in the other wikis, in technical reports, and in the
Lisp code (for the LKB, [incr tsdb()], etc.). When I can't find something,
I ask about it on the list. I try to link to these sources of information,
but I don't always remember to. I also want to acknowledge the direct and
indirect contributions of others, including but not limited to Ann, Bec,
Emily, Francis, John, Stephan, and Woodley.

There is often some overlap between RFCs and other wikis. In addition to
the pair you pointed out, here are some others:

* http://moin.delph-in.net/MrsRfc and http://moin.delph-in.net/RmrsTop (and
subpages)
* http://moin.delph-in.net/PredicateRfc and http://moin.delph-in.net/RmrsPos,
http://moin.delph-in.net/ErgSemantics/Basics
* http://moin.delph-in.net/TdlRfc and
http://moin.delph-in.net/GeFaqTdlSyntax
* http://moin.delph-in.net/GrammarVersionRfc and
http://moin.delph-in.net/LkbConventions

We could probably do better about separating user-facing from
developer-facing wikis, but that's a lot of work and it's not always clear
where to draw the line. I try to keep the RFCs up to date with decisions
made at summits or on this list, and I try to avoid detailing the history
of these things except where it's relevant for implementers of tools.

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman