[developers] LUI binaries in the main LKB repository

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Thu Dec 12 19:57:46 CET 2019

Hi all,

I just reminded myself of why this has not been done before.  The "yzlui" interface is built on top of some rather old APIs that Apple has been deprecating bit by bit.  All of the yzlui code seems to compile in 64 bit mode, but it turns out those APIs are not available for 64 bit code.  Given that Apple has now decided that 32 bit code is not allowed to run any more in 10.15, there is no simple path to a yzlui that will run on 10.15, except possibly compiling one that uses X windows and running an X server on 10.15.  I did some work a while back on upgrading yzlui to use newer APIs, and got it to work to some extent.  I handed the code for that over to Chris Curtis a year or so ago, and once in a while I hear something from him about it, but I don’t think he has the time to really support it.

I believe a 64-bit LUI for Linux should be possible.

-Woodley