[developers] Acetools for MacOS

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Sat Feb 22 20:49:34 CET 2020

Hi Alexandre,

I am using OSX Catalina 10.15.2.  I just downloaded the art 0.1.9 binary and ran it successfully.  On my first attempt I got the following error:

$ ./art -a "~/cdev/ace/ace -g ~/cdev/ace/erg-1214.dat -1" mrs
zcat: can't stat: mrs/item.gz (mrs/item.gz.Z): No such file or directory

I'm not sure if this is a difference with previous versions of OSX, but what's happening here is that art is trying to decompress my zipped profile, and it expected zcat to support .gz extensions, but the zcat program it found didn't.  An easy workaround was to manually decompress the profile before processing it, e.g.:

$ gunzip mrs/*.gz

After that, everything went through without any issues.  I was a little bit surprised to see this, because I had seen it in the past and thought I had made the MacOS binaries use "gzcat" instead of "zcat", but apparently not, at least for this particular release.

Was that the problem you ran into, or was it something more sinister?

Regards,
Woodley