[developers] wanted: collaboration infrastructure task force

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Sat Dec 19 07:46:55 UTC 2020

dear colleagues,

the DELPH-IN standing committee is looking for volunteers to help with our
shared collaboration infrastructure, e.g. the wiki, mailing lists,
discourse forum, code repository, etc.  we would like to form a task force
of at least two technologically minded DELPH-IN members, to help design and
implement modern infrastructure solutions.

we have started to discuss modernizing our infrastructure at the 2020
summit; for background, please see:

http://moin.delph-in.net/VirtualInfrastructure

the most valuable service, arguably, is the DELPH-IN wiki.  but the
underlying MoinMoin platform is no longer sustainable.  we should look into
migrating all relevant content into a modern platform, for example
MediaWiki.  this is where we are most urgently looking for volunteers.

the mailing lists are also increasingly difficult to sustain.  i wonder
whether we still need them?  the UW discourse site appears to largely have
superseded discussion on the ‘developers’ list, and for all i know also
supports email notification.  we should look into ingesting our email
archives into the discourse platform.  or maybe take discussion and code
repositories to M$ GitHub wholesale?

please consider volunteering!  this need not be very time-consuming,
overall, and could be fun in the right group of people.  we will look for
at least one member of the standing committee to guide and support our
infrastructure transition into the 21st century.

please respond to ‘standing at delph-in.net’ (one of our three remaining
active mailing lists :-).

best wishes, oe