[developers] Incomplete expanded type constraints

Guy Emerson gete2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 10:55:19 UTC 2021

(cross-posted to:
https://delphinqa.ling.washington.edu/t/incomplete-expanded-type-constraints/681
)

There seem to be some cases where the LKB does not fully expand type
constraints, e.g. compiling the attached file as the entire grammar.

The type constraints for `null-with-diff-list` include a re-entrancy.
However, in the type `test`, this re-entrancy is lost.

Strangely, commenting out the definition of `1-list-with-diff-list`
recovers the re-entrancy, even though this type does not appear in the
feature structure.  Similarly, commenting out the constraints on
`cons-with-diff-list` also recovers the re-entrancy, even though again this
type does not appear in the feature structure.

I'm not 100% sure what the conditions are which cause this bug, but they
must be quite specific, given the above behaviour, and given that the LKB
can handle much larger and more complicated type constraint expansions.

I've tested this with the most recent release of LKB-FOS (as well as an
older release).