[erg] multiple assignments of characteristic variables

Xuchen Yao xuchen at coli.uni-saarland.de
Sun Jun 6 13:01:57 CEST 2010

Hello,

I came across this error when playing with DMRS but thought this is
related to (or due to) ERG as well.

I parsed a not-so-grammatical sentence: It would be impossible to live
what? The  MRS output turned out that both PRON_REL<0:2> and
THING_REL<31:37> have "x4" as their ARG0, or in Ann's DMRS theory, the
characteristic variable "x4" is assigned to multiple relations. As a
consequence, this forms an "island" of dependencies in the DMRS output
(see the attached picture, "free_relative_q" and "thing" are isolated
from the main dependency graph).

I always thought an MRS should be converted to one and only one
dependency graph, islands are not permitted and a characteristic
variable can only belong to only one relation. I'm not sure the reason
for islands is due to the ungrammaticality of input or some minor issues
in ERG. Should it be fixed or left out? Advices are much appreciated!

LKB version: test as 28-Apr-2010
ERG version: 1004

Xuchen

LTOP: h1
INDEX: e2
RELS: <
[ PRON_REL<0:2>
   LBL: h3
   ARG0: x4 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: SG GEND: N PRONTYPE: STD_PRON ]
]
[ PRONOUN_Q_REL<0:2>
   LBL: h5
   ARG0: x4 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: SG GEND: N PRONTYPE: STD_PRON ]
   RSTR: h6
   BODY: h7
]
[ _WOULD_V_MODAL_REL<3:8>
   LBL: h8
   ARG0: e2 [ e SF: QUES TENSE: PRES MOOD: INDICATIVE ]
   ARG1: h9
]
[ _impossible_a_for_rel<12:22>
   LBL: h10
   ARG0: e12 [ e SF: PROP TENSE: UNTENSED MOOD: INDICATIVE PROG: - PERF: - ]
   ARG1: h13
   ARG2: u11
]
[ _live_v_1_rel<26:30>
   LBL: h14
   ARG0: e16 [ e SF: PROP-OR-QUES TENSE: UNTENSED MOOD: INDICATIVE PROG:
- PERF: - ]
   ARG1: p15
   ARG2: x4 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: SG GEND: N PRONTYPE: STD_PRON ]
]
[ FREE_RELATIVE_Q_REL<31:37>
   LBL: h17
   ARG0: x4 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: SG GEND: N PRONTYPE: STD_PRON ]
   RSTR: h18
   BODY: h19
]
[ THING_REL<31:37>
   LBL: h20
   ARG0: x4 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: SG GEND: N PRONTYPE: STD_PRON ]
]

HCONS: < h6 qeq h3 h9 qeq h10 h13 qeq h14 h18 qeq h20 >