[erg] Puzzle about IND and DIV

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 22 20:21:22 CEST 2013

Hi David -

Sorry for the long delay in replying.  The re-entrancy of LOCAL.AGR and LOCAL.CONT.HOOK.INDEX for ordinary nouns is asserted in the type `noun_synsem' in lextypes.tdl, and this means that the two DIV values you observed will also have to unify (or fail to do so).

Your strategy of simply removing the DIV constraint on the normal bare-NP rule has the potential disadvantage that you can no longer tell whether a given input is an ordinary well-formed sentence, or instead slightly ill-formed and dependent on the constraint relaxation you introduced.  This may not seem to matter, but I think it may cause trouble with parse selection, where that bare-NP treatment of a singular count noun will appear as a candidate when you don't want it.  You might consider making a copy of the rule that is just for singular count nouns, so the parse selection machinery can tell it apart from the normal one, and adopt different likelihoods for each.  If you adopt this strategy, you may find of interest the additional mal-rules that are defined in the erg/educ subdirectory, and you can compare your rule with the 'mal_bare_np_sg_phrase' defined in erg/educ/lextypes-epgy.tdl.

 Dan