[erg] Missing article in a sentence causes a problem in parsing?

< mottdh at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 17 09:29:53 CEST 2013

Dan

thank you for those details. i will try the robust grammar on our sample sentences and let you know what happens.

but i understand your point about robustness vs accuracy and i wonder if there is a halfway position between the addition of a specific noncount entry for "male" ( and similar) and the use of the robust grammar to reduce the loss of accuracy.  in this example domain, only some limited telegraphic forms occur, such as a missing article, and i might like to just add a specific rule for "determiner phrases without a determiner", as it were, which would perhaps minimise the accuracy loss. i think i will take it as an exercise to try and do that!

this leads to a more general thought. in our project, one of the aspirations is to provide the user with the capability to add such rules themselves. i know some of my colleagues feel this is crazy, and you may do so too, and i appreciate that the ERG has taken decades to develop using deep linguistic knowledge. however the case in hand, missing determiners,  is i think a phenomenon that most english speakers could understand, and it is not impossible to imagine that they could describe the structure given a language and set if concepts to do so. or am i being totally naive? perhaps the problem is easy in isolation, but is made difficult because such a description has to be seamlessly added to an already complex set of rules? again maybe this is a good exercise for me to try

best

David

Sent from my iPad