[erg] The longer sunlight shines, the more energy it transfers.

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 3 23:38:08 CET 2015

Hi Paul -

Thanks for the reminders of some needed improvements in the grammar.  As Emily noted, the subject line example is an instance of an entertainingly challenging construction that I have been procrastinating on, but should really get implemented, and the sooner the better :).  The example 2-4 that you gave make use of comparative and superlative forms of degree modifiers, which are only partially implemented in the ERG.  Just as with comparative/superlative adjectives, comparatives and superlatives of adverbs come in two flavors: phrasal comparatives as in |Kim is __more clearly__ visible than Browne|, and lexical ones as in |Those are __farther__ apart than these|.  The ERG currently analyzes the phrasal ones, but not yet the lexical ones.  But your email reminds me of the need to get these into the grammar, so I'll work on them too in the coming weeks.

 Dan