[itsdb] [lkb] the fine system and unicode

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at cl.uni-bremen.de
Sat Feb 18 09:17:05 CET 2006

Hi Stephan,

> i am assuming you are among the people who mean [incr tsdb()] when they
> say `the fine system'?

Yes, I think that is a good name for the system with the funny name.

> if so, then i am sad to report that there is no
> support for variation of profile encoding within the same [incr tsdb()]
> session.  i have a script to convert a complete profile tree to UTF-8,
> though.
>
> in general, for DELPH-IN and our LOGON project here in norway, we have
> moved to strongly encouraging UTF-8 (even for german or norwegian where
> the local tradition used to be ISO-8859-1).  maybe that would be a good
> option for your CD-ROM universe too?  more and more Linux distributions
> have long made UTF-8 the default.

Yes, I considered this in the past, but there were so many problems with
all my other files (LaTeX, mail stuff, and so on) that I switched back
to ISO-8859-1. But I will now switch to utf-8.

The trouble with chinese convinced me that it is better to have a
uniform way of doing things.

Getting the script would be nice.

Thanks for all your work

	Stefan

--
Stefan Müller

Universität Potsdam      Tel: (+49) (+331) 977-2180

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/Babel/Interaktiv/