bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Tue Aug 12 11:16:40 CEST 2003

G'day,

this is a very basic question, but I couldn't find the answer in
"Implementing Typed Feature Structure Grammars".  If it is there and I
missed it, please forgive me and add it to the index!

What is the diffence between ":<" and ":="?

Looking at their use (in for example JACY's values.tdl):

Things subsumed by two or more types tend to be ":=", while things
subsumed by only one type tend to be ":<".  But sometimes things
subsumed by only one type are ":=" ...

Searching on-line I found that ":<" means "is a subsort".  Practically,
how is this different from "is subsumed by"?

Getting back to basics,

--
Francis Bond  <www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/>
NTT Communication Science Laboratories | Machine Translation Research Group