Macintosh and accents

Jesse Tseng Jesse.Tseng at loria.fr
Tue Oct 28 16:50:07 CET 2003

Hello everyone,

I have two questions about things that are hinted at in the
"Recent developments" section (under construction) of the LKB
homepage.

I have just installed the runtime binary, version 5.4, with
OpenMotif 2.1, on a nice new machine running Mandrake Linux.
There are problems with accented characters. (1) If the last
character of the input is accented, I get a message like

  Error: Error reading mb-vector from
       #<EXCL:BUFFER-INPUT-SIMPLE-STREAM pos 11 @ #x4303a582>

This is easily fixed by putting a period at the end of the
input string, but there must be a more satisfying solution.

More problematic is the fact that accented characters don't
display correctly in feature structures and trees.  They show
up as "?".  I'm pretty sure that these are not LKB problems but
maybe one of you can suggest a fix.

(2) Does anyone have the LKB running on a Macintosh (OS X)?
And I don't mean Virtual PC.

One last minor complaint: My arrow keys don't work in the
Current Interaction windows (in the Linux set-up described
above).

That's all for now, but I may have some meatier questions as I
get re-acquainted with my grammar.

Regards,

Jesse