[lkb] Re: Graphical LKB on Mac OSX <--IT works !!

John Carroll J.A.Carroll at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 22:07:45 CET 2005

On Thursday, Mar 10, 2005, at 20:45 Europe/London, Brian Nolan wrote:

> Erich,
>
> Your tip was excellent.
>
> I loaded this into my browser (it displays with loads of funny
> symbols), saved it to the desktop as LKB-5.4beta-runtime.sitx  (with
> NO .txt extension), double clicked the box-icon on the desktop and
> voila..... a working graphical LKB on the Mac OSX.
>
> I am delighted!!
>
> It would indeed be wonderful if this software was available from the
> LKB official website as there are a lot of Mac users out their who
> would be interested in this. An official port would be great too!
>
> Thanks also to John Carroll for providing the Mac OSX version online.
>
> Best regards,
> Brian
>
>>  John Carroll <J.A.Carroll at sussex.ac.uk> has kindly provided a
>> working image to me last year that is still available at
>>
>> http://www.informatics.susx.ac.uk/research/nlp/carroll/LKB-5.4beta-
>> runtime.sitx

Erich,

Thanks for pointing Brian at this Mac version. Sometime soon I will get
a link to it added to the LKB web pages. Roussanka: there's the address
above for you to download it. Some additional info below.

I'm not entirely happy with this version, since at least for me it
sometimes starts up as an old-style System 9 application (with degraded
performance) inside OS X -- I think this happens if Classic is running
at the time. I'd like to fix this, and will let you know if I do.

John

------
Use Stuffit Expander to unpack the .sitx file, or just double-click it.
Double-click on the file LKB-5.4beta-runtime to start up the LKB. It's
set to run in 400MB memory, but you could probably reduce this if
you're just running the LKB with small grammars.

Immediately after the LKB starts, redefine the function
lkb::lkb-tmp-dir -- to something like the following:

(defun lkb::lkb-tmp-dir nil #P"Macintosh
HD:Users:myname:Documents:tmp:")

(type this in the "Listener" window and hit return; you will get a
warning which is fine). This assumes your hard disk is called
"Macintosh HD" and your username is "myname". You also need to create
this folder ("tmp" in your Documents folder).