[lkb] SPPP

Emily M. Bender ebender at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 31 18:40:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

Some colleagues and I are trying to figure out SPPP, in the context of
hooking up a morphological analyzer for Hebrew (U. Haifa/Shuly
Wintner) to a Hebrew grammar based on the Matrix (UW/Margalit
Zabludowski).  We would like to preserve the ambiguity found by the
morphological analyzer and let the (syntactic) grammar disambiguate as
it can.  Thus, SPPP looks like it might be the right way to go.

However, from the wiki page (LkbSppp), it seems like SPPP is expecting
the external binary to be able to produce output that corresponds to
LKB rules rather than (say) a lattice of segmentations of the input
form.  Is the general idea to take such a form-based lattice and then
(with another, still external, script) change them to SPPP XML with
the LKB rule identifiers projected from the forms themselves?  Does
anyone have any such XML-generating code lying around that we could
work from?  Is SPPP the only way to pass ambiguous morphological output
to the LKB?

Thanks,
Emily