[matrix] Dissertation: Widespread but Not Universal: Improving the Typological Coverage of the Grammar Matrix

Scott Drellishak sfd at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 16 13:20:39 CEST 2009

I have recently finished and defended my dissertation, which I suspect
might be of interest to researchers working with the Grammar Matrix.
A PDF copy of the dissertation can be found at my home page
(http://students.washington.edu/sfd/).  The abstract follows:

The LinGO Grammar Matrix provides a foundation for building grammars
of natural languages in HPSG. It includes a web-based questionnaire
that allows a linguist to describe a natural language, and then
creates a starter grammar for that language based on the answers. In
this dissertation, I describe improvements I have made to the
typological coverage of this system, including support for core case
marking, agreement in person, number, and gender, direct-inverse
languages, and a lexicon containing an arbitrarily large number of
lexical types, lexical items, and inflectional morphemes.

 - Scott Drellishak, Ph.D.