[pet] [developers] preprocessing functionality in pet

Benjamin Waldron bmw20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 10:31:17 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Ann Copestake wrote:

> I would like to know where/why the ECL preprocessor is so slow - I
> hadn't heard this.  Is it because it's writing out a full PET input
> chart or something?  I would be surprised if we couldn't make the
> speed acceptable in Lisp unless ECL itself is very inefficient, but
> then the MRS stuff runs reasonably, doesn't it?

I wasn't aware that there was currently a problem with the ECL'ed fspp
preprocessor.

Current timings for a 20 word input string, running on my fairly old
laptop (which is currently running a number of other processes also) are
approx: ACL 120ms, SBCL 75ms, ECL 3000ms. So there's a problem! I'll
investigate.

- Ben