[pet] PET code cleaning

Bernd Kiefer kiefer at dfki.de
Tue Jul 6 13:24:54 CEST 2010

Hi Bart,

I see you are very eager to begin with the code cleaning. Your
schedule looks a bit tight to me, but that will maybe prevent us
from pushing it more and more into the future.

So: OK from my side.

To all: to do the "more serious refactoring", could we manage to
put up a system/procedure that allows for thorough regression testing
in short time? That does not need to be THE testing environment we
envisage in the future, but it should make relatively sure that there's
nothing broken.

Any proposal on how to do that? Or: How do you do that? And what could
be improved?

Best,
	Bernd

On 06.07.2010 00:24, Bart Cramer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today, Yi pointed me to the problem that if we do code cleaning, this
> will lead to large diffs for people using PET source code, and might
> like to be notified about it. Therefore, I was thinking of sending the
> mail below to developers-list. What do you think?
>
> Bart.
>
> ===
>
> Dear developers,
>
> as was discussed during the meeting in Paris
> (http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/PetRoadMap), there will be a serious
> effort to converge to a single version of PET again, and to do some
> serious code refactoring. This has the following consequences:
>
> 1. The main branch will be branched into a new branch: legacy. Only
> bugfixes will be backported to this branch, not new functionality.
> 2. The diff between main and cm will be merged into main. That is: the
> main branch will support chart mapping (and chart pruning) from that
> point on.
>
> *This is done on 14 July, one week from today.*
>
> 3. The simple work for the code re-factoring (brackets, tabs) will be
> done in one go. These are changes that are documented under Indentation
> on http://pet.opendfki.de/wiki/ProgrammingStyleGuide.
>
> *This is done on 19-20 July.*
>
> 4. More serious code re-factoring, and working down the bullet points on
> the roadmap will require more serious work. You will be updated in due
> time about the changes.
> 5. You can expect a poll about which functionalities in PET are to be
> kept, and which can be thrown away. Most attention will go to rather old
> input formats. You will also be updated about progress on this front.
>
> For all changes it holds that large diffs will arise, and that it might
> be hard for you to update these changes, and have them merged into your
> local changes. Therefore, we highly recommend to either commit the
> changes before the dates mentioned above, or make local diffs before
> updating after the indicated dates. The LOGON binaries in the Paris
> release will not be affected by any of these changes.
>
> If this schedule poses any problems to you, please let us know.
>
> Best,
>
> Bernd, Peter, Yi, Bart.

Bernd Kiefer     DFKI GmbH,  Stuhlsatzenhausweg,  D-66123 Saarbruecken
kiefer at dfki.de   +49-681/85775-5301 (phone)   +49-681/85775-5338 (fax)
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vor-
                     sitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313