[pet] State of the project?

John Stewart cane.cubo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:36:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am totally new to PET.  Just this week I got it to build on mac os x 10.6
and was able to run some tests.  I have been working with other parsers --
the Stanford PCFG-derived tool, the Malt dependency parser, the link grammar
device -- and found that PET seems more robust and more prone to returning
good trees compared to the others.  Frankly I was surprised because, at
least in my circles (US East Coast computational linguistics) I don't think
PET is yet a household name.

I'm therefore curious about the current state of the project.  I read the
history on a wiki, and hopped around the mail lists, but wasn't able to get
a sense of whether there is a significant community of developers and users.
 Is there a fair degree of forward momentum and enthusiasm?  Given the
quality of the system, I hope so.

Also, if one wanted to volunteer a bit as a programmer (work + dissertation
mean not a lot of time available), where might one start?  Tickets on the
Trac?

Thanks,

jds