[pet] handling of unknown lexical items

John Stewart cane.cubo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:48:50 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to reproduce the behaviour of the online demo using the
command-line PET + ERG system, but having various troubles.  One is
with unknown words.  For  the sentence

(1)  ugo kissed pilar

The online demo returns _ugo/nn_u_unknown and _pilar/nn_u_unknown ,
which is correct.

Using the command-line tool as follows:

> cheap -default-les=all -verbose=3 -mrs english.grm

I get the surprising output:

(1011 np_frg_c 0 0 3 [root_frag]
  (1007 hdn_bnp_c 0 0 3
    (1003 n-hdn_cpd_c 0 0 3
      (5 gen_generic_noun/n_-_mc-ns-g_le 0 0 1 []
        (1 "ugo" 0 0 1 <0:1>))
      (1000 hdn-n_prnth_c 0 1 3
        (610 generic_pl_noun/n_-_c-pl-unk_le 0 1 2 []
          (2 "kissed" 0 1 2 <1:2>))
        (865 generic_pl_noun_ne/n_-_c-pl-gen_le 0 2 3 []
          (3 "pilar" 0 2 3 <2:3>))))))

So an NP fragment.  Incidentally I'm unsure how to read the leaf
types, as the format, with "/", seems to not match the templates
documented at http://moin.delph-in.net/ErgLeTypes  But in any case,
plural nouns are an incorrect default (I get worse results with
-default-les=traditional).  Are there cheap switches that will yield
the better output given by the online demo?

Thanks for any suggestions.

jds