[students] Students Session at the DELPH-IN 2008 Summit

Rebecca Dridan bec.dridan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:33:49 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Those of you going to the DELPH-IN summit in Japan this year may have
noticed that there is a students session on the schedule.  The idea
behind this session is to allow students to get feedback on their
research as a whole, not just the particular section that may be
DELPH-IN related. Since there are too many of us to give long
presentations, each student attending should give a short (3-5 min?)
outline of their research plan/direction, including but not limited to
your use of DELPH-IN tools and data, and highlighting any area you would
like help or ideas for.

This session should not stop students from presenting their work in the
appropriate sessions. It is intended to be a higher level, more holistic
overview of your thesis/research plan, to get feedback on your direction
and future plans. Think of it as an advertisement for finding potential
mentors, collaborators or citations from outside your own institution.
Since the student session is fairly early on, this will allow time later
during the summit to make contact with people who are interested, or
have useful feedback to give.

It would help scheduling to know how many students will be presenting in
this session. If you intend to, could you email me
(bec.dridan at gmail.com), not the list, so I can get approximate numbers.

This plan (along with the rest of the summit) is not yet set in
concrete, so if you have other suggestions you'd like to see during this
session, email me, or better yet, the list.

Also for all students, whether attending this summit or not, if you have
any ideas for how we could better utilise the resources of the DELPH-IN
community to help students, email the list so they can be discussed here
and perhaps raised at the summit.

Rebecca

P.S. If you are not listed at
http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/DelphinStudents (or your listing is out of
date), you should fix that :) If you don't have write access to the
DELPH-IN wiki, contact info at delph-in.net and request it.