[developers] Re: Macintosh version of LKB now publicly available

Emily M. Bender ebender at u.washington.edu
Thu Jun 16 16:40:20 CEST 2005

Thanks, John.  I'm sure there will be students at the Institute
this summer (in the HPSG class, for which we're doing an optional
Matrix-based implementation lab) who will be very happy to be
able to use the LKB on their own macs!

I've tried it out some, and have the following observations:

--- Occasionally, clicking on a node in a parse tree and
clicking on "Feature Structure --- Edge NN" can take a long
time to execute, pretty much taking over the whole computer
in the process.

--- Since there's no window with all of the trees, the
menu option "generate" is not available.  However, "generate
from edge" on the root of any given tree is equivalent, so
this is not a big deal.  (Only something I and others should
be aware of when writing lab instructions for students working
with diverse platforms.)

--- The (expanded menu option) "compare" command doesn't seem
to do anything.  This is unfortunate, since I find that a
very useful grammar debugging tool, but perhaps the option should
be greyed out if it's not functional?

Emily