[developers] morphology check in

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 22:21:45 CEST 2005

Dan - read this please!

OK - I'd tested on the previously checked in version of the ERG which is fine.
I suspect the problem is that the current version of the ERG is buggy in the
sense of having too many cyclically applicable rules for the rule filter to
work with.  As I explained, the rule filter computation exponential in this
case - the bug in the last version of the code led to this not being obvious
and cycles probably weren't being checked for properly.  According to the value
of *cyclic-lr-list* when I aborted the computation, the following are cyclic:

(#[rule PUNCT_COLON_RULE o] #[rule PUNCT_PERIOD_RULE o]
 #[rule PUNCT_COMMA_INFORMAL_RULE o] #[rule ATTR_ADJ_VERB_TR_PART ]
 #[rule PUNCT_LPAREN_RULE o] #[rule ATTR_ADJ_VERB_PART ]
 #[rule ENOUGHADD ] #[rule PUNCT_SQLEFT_RULE o] #[rule SAILR ]
 #[rule PUNCT_BANG_RULE o] #[rule PUNCT_SEMICOL_RULE o] #[rule ADVADD ]
 #[rule PUNCT_DQLEFT_RULE o] #[rule MONTHDET ]
 #[rule PUNCT_SQRIGHT_RULE o] #[rule PAST_VERB_INFL_RULE o]
 #[rule PUNCT_QMARK_RULE o] #[rule PUNCT_RPAREN_RULE o]
 #[rule WEEKDAYDET ] #[rule TAGLR ] #[rule PUNCT_DQRIGHT_RULE o]
 #[rule NON_THIRD_SG_FIN_VERB_INFL_RULE ] #[rule PUNCT_COMMA_RULE o]
 #[rule PUNCT_HYPHEN_RULE o])

I haven't checked whether this is in fact true yet - I thought I should
probably send this message quickly in case Dan is in response mode.  There may
be something I can do if it's thought desirable for all these to apply to their
own output: my working assumption was that there are a relatively small number
of rules where this is desirable, but I am willing to reconsider.  We can maybe
just compute the rule-filter for non-morphologically active lexical rules.

I will check in a change so that the cyclic rules are listed as they are found.
Current state of the code is that one message is sent when all are found but
that's obviously too late.