[developers] cfrom/cto in cheap - bug when packing?

Francis Bond fcbond at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:07:09 CET 2005

G'day,

> After consultation with Ben Waldron today, I can report that if you do the
> following three things you can get characterization to work for the ERG
> in the LKB, though I don't know what would be required for cheap.  So
> if your question was just about cheap, then never mind this message.

My question was mainly about cheap as I wanted the values for the RMRS
for the dictionary batches.  I beleive the HoG people enabled this
magic, but I haven't been able to do it here.  However, I also welcome
it's appearance in the LKB (^_^).

> And note carefully that the changes below are not guaranteed to be
> compatible with other functionality such as that provided by [incr tsdb()]
> or the Redwoods machinery. So caveat adoptor :)
>
> At present, the three steps are as follows:
> 1. In erg/lkb/globals.lsp, include the line
>    (setf *characterize-p* t)
> 2. In erg/lkb/user-fns.lsp, include the following redefinition
>    (defun preprocess-sentence-string (str)
>      (x-preprocess str :format :chared))
> 3. In erg/lkb/script, replace the line
>    (read-preprocessor (lkb-pathname (parent-directory) "preprocessor.fsr"))
>    with the line
>    (x-read-preprocessor (lkb-pathname (parent-directory) "preprocessor.fsr"))
>
> I have not experimented extensively with these alterations, and direct
> queries to Ben.

Will do,

--
Francis Bond  <www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/>
NTT Communication Science Laboratories | Machine Translation Research Group