[developers] PET 0.99.12 + MRS Build Errors

Eric Nichols eric-n at is.naist.jp
Wed Apr 26 13:05:40 CEST 2006

Bernd,

Good suggestion. There is a segmentation fault, but no core file is produced.
I tried calling cheap from gdb and loading a grammar and got the following:

:) gdb cheap
GNU gdb 6.4-debian
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run japanese.grm
Starting program: /usr/bin/cheap japanese.grm
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
[New Thread -1227462976 (LWP 23302)]
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
warning: Lowest section in /usr/lib/libicudata.so.34 is .hash at 00000094
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
reading `pet/japanese.set'...
`LXD-DEF-6.jp051120.mem'... [60508 features] Ignoring entry with
unknown rule `$-*-' in irregular forms
Ignoring entry with unknown rule `$this' in irregular forms
Ignoring entry with unknown rule `$the' in irregular forms
Ignoring entry with unknown rule `$currently' in irregular forms
Ignoring entry with unknown rule `$c2stem' in irregular forms
Ignoring entry with unknown rule `$---' in irregular forms

[Switching to Thread -1227462976 (LWP 23302)]
0xb6ff1bda in GC_finalize () from /usr/lib/ecl/libecl.so
(gdb)

It looks like the problem may be ECL. Are you applying any patches to
your ECL? I am currently using a patch to rename lib/h/config.h to
lib/h/ecl_config.h as was suggested on the mailing list when PET
0.99.9 came out. Is this unnecesary? I have attached the patch I am
using as a record. It worked with PET 0.99.9 ~ 0.99.11.

Update: I just tried rebuilding ECL without this patch and using it to
build PET, but it doesn't change the error at all.

Eric

On 4/26/06, Bernd Kiefer <kiefer at dfki.de> wrote:

> > I checked out the revised LKB code from CVS and gave it a try, but it
> > did not solve my problems. I can compile with MRS support, and
> > libmrs.a will be built correctly, however, I cannot load ERG or JACY
> > without cheap core dumping. Now I am experiencing this even when I do
> > not use packing mode. I understand that several people (yourself
> > included) have gotten packing mode working with MRS for various
> > grammars. However, I will stand by my original claim that my case
> > seems MRS-code related, because cheap builds and works when I disable
> > MRS.
> >
> > I am building this with gcc 4.0.3 on Ubuntu Dapper (I have tried
> > Breezy, too) on both a Pentium 4 and a Pentium M. I am using the
> > latest LKB CVS source and ECL 0.9h.
>
> Well, this looks like an unsuspicious setup, so we'll have to
> investigate the problem. do you have a debugger at hand, say, gdb?
> If PET really produces a core dump, then call gdb with
>
> gdb cheap core.???
>
> and send me the backtrace using the backtrace command of gdb, in case
> the segmentation fault was not inside ecl.
>
> Maybe we can fix your problem.
>
> Bernd

> Bernd Kiefer                                            Am Blauberg 16
> kiefer at dfki.de                                      66119 Saarbruecken
> +49-681/302-5301 (office)                      +49-681/3904507  (home)

--Eric Nichols