[developers] default image size

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun May 14 17:43:15 CEST 2006

I am having problems building an new image for Windows XP that will
take advantage of the 1.5 GBytes on my laptop.  Has anyone done this?
I have had some discussion with Franz, but haven't got a recipe that
works well yet and it all seems very hit and miss.  (I know about the
Allegro FAQs and the settings in deliver.lsp - the Franz guy suggested
that it should be possible to reset :c-heap-start (to #x5a000000) and make
:lisp-heap-start lower)

The ERG will not now reliably index the generator with the standard
Franz image (at least on Windows).  So I think we probably need to put
something in the compilation instructions on the wiki about building a
larger image.  In Cambridge, we've been using parameters for Linux
that I believe come from oe originally - bclim.lisp - but I don't know
whether there are refinements to that.  Is there anything checked in?
I'm aware that the settings will vary according to the hardware and
OS, but presumably giving something as a starting point is better than
nothing.