[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Andreas Fuchs afuchs at franz.com
Tue Oct 3 10:40:03 CEST 2006

Hi Berthold,

thanks for the feedback.

On Sep 29, 2006, at 16:30, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
> Actually, my standard locale is en_GB.UTF-8. I have tried that now
> --- with partial success.
>
> 1. If I paste my German umlauts into the input widget with the
> mouse, I get:
>
> Warning: Xt:
>    Name: xmTextField
>    Class: XmTextField
>    Character '\344' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> Still the "ä"  is  part of the input and the Umlaut shows up
> correctly in the output. In the input window, the Umlaut is not
> displayed.
> 2. If I try to insert the umlaut with the keyboard (Compose+"+a), I
> get a slightly different behaviour:
>
> Error message is the same and the umlaut character is not
> displayed. It also gets inserted into the input string. Subsequent
> characters, however, are inserted to its left ("Er schläft" yields
> "Er schlftä"). It is possible to fool the system by entering all
> non-umlauts first, and  then insert the umlaut.
> I hope that helps narrowing down the problem.

I've reproduced the problem.

The difference is that before, I was starting lisp without passing -
locale, but rebinding excl:*locale* to (find-locale "de_AT.UTF-8").
It seems that passing any -locale argument at all will cause the
problem you describe.

I am not yet sure what is causing the difference in behaviour when -
locale is passed, but in the meantime, it should help to not pass -
locale, and use (let ((excl:*locale* (find-locale "en_GB.UTF-8"))
<forms you use to start the application>).

Cheers,
Andreas.