[developers] LKB and MacOS(x86)

Alexandros Paulis apaulis at coli.uni-sb.de
Tue Oct 17 12:38:47 CEST 2006

Dear all,
One of the new MSc students has tried to install LKB to his
Mac. I'm attaching his e-mail in case you could provide some advice.
Thank you in advance,
All best
Alex

Poulis Alexandros
Research Group: Computational Linguistics I (Uszkoreit)
**************************************
Attached Mail follows:
**************************************
I've read the instruction below:
http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbInstallation

- I've downloaded the 'lkb_macintosh.sitx' from the link:
http://lingo.stanford.edu/ftp/stable/
- extracted it
- but somehow it won't lunch.. (because of the platform difference? I
do not know..) I can already see the binary file for MacOSX under
"lkb_macintosh Folder", but as soon as I double-click the program file
"LKB", it'd be shown on the Doc for a second, and distinguished...

Then I tried going with source code..
- Download the stable version of LKB source code (itsdb_source.tgz )
from the link above
- mkdir ~/Documents/delphin
- mkdir ~/Documents/tmp
- extract the file
Here, I realized I'd need to have a LISP environment extra.

>From here, I thought I'd need to have "Macintosh Common Lisp (MCL)",
http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbCompilation

But it seemed that they don't offer the Intel version, and its way too
expensive to buy one :-P
http://www.digitool.com/purchase.html

Then I found the page mentioned on the previous email.
>> http://www.nabble.com/LKB-on-MacBook-Pro-(OSX-10.4)-t2211049.html

I hope above explanation was sufficient. By the way, I'm using the
MacOSX (10.4.8), and my machine is MacBook with 2GHz Intel Core Duo.

Thank you
Kira