[developers] SBCL port: XML

Ben Waldron bmw20 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 16:07:18 CEST 2006

The current LKB relies on the :pxml module ("A Lisp Based XML Parser":
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/8.0/doc/pxml.htm) which is
distributed with Allegro lisp. This module is Allegro-specific. In
particular, it /doesn't/ compile with SBCL lisp.

An alternative module is S-XML ("a simple XML parser implemented in
Common Lisp": http://common-lisp.net/project/s-xml/). The interface to
S-XML is sufficently similar to :pxml that it appears possible to simply
swap these two modules whilst leaving the LKB source code unchanged; and
it has the great advantage of running under /any/ Common Lisp (in
particular SBCL). (Namespace support appears subtly different, but I
don't think this is an issue.)

I've tested that S-XML can be used to replace the existing
Allegro-specific XML module in the LKB. I would like to make such a swap
official. Any objections?

Thanks,
- Ben