[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Andreas Fuchs afuchs at franz.com
Wed Mar 21 15:33:57 CET 2007

Hello Stephan,

Stephan Oepen <oe at csli.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> however, there is another serious problem related to your patch; it was
> first observed by berthold crysmann on 11-oct-06: with the patch loaded
> and when running ACL within the emacs(1) -- Lisp interface, we reliably
> run into the following condition:
>
>   Error: Trying to operate on a background stream:
>   #<EXCL::BACKGROUND-STREAM fd LAZY @ #x447e7c4a>
>
> as berthold reports, using both the CLIM patch and ELI is required for
> this problem to arise.  with either just your path or ELI, things work
> fine.  hence, i suspect an interaction with multi-processing?

That was indeed the case. The updated code passed the wrong
initial-bindings to the event handler thread, which caused some streams
to be bound to background-streams in your application, in turn causing
the force-output calls to fail.

The attached patch should restore functionality of force-output in your
application again. Also, I re-ordered a few definitions in order to
eliminate warnings at compile time.