[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Tue Mar 27 15:34:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 07:33 -0700, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> Hello Stephan,
>
> Stephan Oepen <oe at csli.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > however, there is another serious problem related to your patch; it was
> > first observed by berthold crysmann on 11-oct-06: with the patch loaded
> > and when running ACL within the emacs(1) -- Lisp interface, we reliably
> > run into the following condition:
> >
> >   Error: Trying to operate on a background stream:
> >   #<EXCL::BACKGROUND-STREAM fd LAZY @ #x447e7c4a>
> >
> > as berthold reports, using both the CLIM patch and ELI is required for
> > this problem to arise.  with either just your path or ELI, things work
> > fine.  hence, i suspect an interaction with multi-processing?
>
> That was indeed the case. The updated code passed the wrong
> initial-bindings to the event handler thread, which caused some streams
> to be bound to background-streams in your application, in turn causing
> the force-output calls to fail.

Hello Andreas,

I have tested your patch a bit now: input of UTF-8 Umlauts is now
possible, but 2 things do not work yet:

- Postscript print to file of tree structures with Umlauts in it (ps
file empty)

- There's a history on the input widget, permitting to select previous
inputs. Display of input thus selected is garbled, although it appears
to be represented ok. Sometimes display is chopped right after the first
Umlaut, but not always. In other cases I have seen trailing garbage.
Probably the refresh does not work properly.

I've included some screen shots.

1. I select the second item from the pick list: "Ich tötete ihn"
2. Display in the input text widget is distorted.
3. Apparently, the string made it into the input buffer.
4. I hit the print button on the output window, print to file, and get
an empty ps file (no prob with ASCII-only trees).

Berthold Crysmann

> The attached patch should restore functionality of force-output in your
> application again. Also, I re-ordered a few definitions in order to
> eliminate warnings at compile time.
>
> As always, compile and load the patch file to use it.
>
> As noted in my previous mail, I'll need a bit more time to work on the
> output issue and Japanese text in text fields.
>
> Good luck,
> Andreas.
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313