[developers] sbcl

Ben Waldron ben.waldron at hf.ntnu.no
Tue Jun 12 10:48:25 CEST 2007

This email provides a summary of the fixes checked into CVS last week
(lkb-patch).

I'm also attaching a patch to tsdb that gets it up and running under
SBCL, but which I've not checked in -- oe, I'd be grateful if you would
be able to integrate this patch into the CVS.

Details below.

===

LKB FIXES

The PPCRE package provides the feature :cl-ppcre itself. Hence it
appears unnecessary to explicitly define the feature :ppcre ourselves --
so I removed the redundant feature and replaced all (4) instances of
:ppcre in the source code with :cl-ppcre. But please let me know if
anyone has a problem with this cleanup.

[systems/lkb.system] - enable :multiprocessing, :lui, and :psql under
:sbcl; remove dependency on "ppcre" when using SBCL, as we get this
using asdf (below)
[systems/mrs.system] - remove dependency on "ppcre" when using SBCL, as
we get this using asdf (below)
[systems/preprocessor.system] - remove dependency on "ppcre" when using
SBCL, as we get this using asdf (below)
[systems/ppcre.system] - remove redundant :ppcre feature
[systems/psql.system] - add file defining foreign function interface
[asdf] - use of :acl-compat library (and dependent libraries) to
provided "Allegro-compatibility" packages :multiprocessing and :excl
packages. this library defines many, but not all, of the corresponding
functions in the corresponding Allegro packages. asdf ("another system
definition facility") is used to manage the source code for this library.
[glue/lui.lsp] - :acl-compat doesn't define socket:shutdown, so ignored
[io-general/utils.lsp] - (pathname name) in place of (make-pathname
:name name)
[lexdb] - rewrote foreign function interface to psql server
[mrs/mrstoplevel.lisp] - show-gen-result-tty prints string in addition
parse to tree (suggested by Francis)
[rmrs/rmrs-algebra.lisp] - fix type inconsistency that caused SBCL to choke
[mt/transfer.lisp] - :ppcre becomes :cl-ppcre

TSDB FIXES

The attached patch allows the tsdb system to compile under SBCL (fixed
type errors, provided replacements for Allegro-specific functions, etc).
Once the podium is up and running new test suites can be created (from a
skeleton), and we can parse, analyse and compare test runs. However, not
everything currently works. Eg.

- many pathnames are slightly malformed (too many slashes). i've not
attempted to fix these. note that:

[Allegro]
TSNLP(15): (make-pathname :directory "/tmp")
#P"/tmp/"

[SBCL]
(make-pathname :directory "/tmp")
#P"//tmp/"

- a new test suite is only displayed after selecting Update->Database list
- tsdb is not collecting memory usage statistics from the SBCL'd LKB