[developers] [afuchs at franz.com: Re: [spr30362] bug using climxm]

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Sat Feb 9 16:04:34 CET 2008

hei!

as i was about to reply to the message below, i noticed andreas had not
sent it to the original `Cc:' list.  too bad!  so, their belief is that
CLIM now has much improved international character support (except for
menu items and button labels, which seems forgivable).

i finally tried these patches on Linux (64-bit, Fedora 7), and things
seem to work the way i think they should.  but i only tried Norwegian
accented characters, and those already worked well with the earlier
version of the CLIM patches that we had received from andreas.  input
of accented characters in the `Parse | Parse input' window is okay, as
is output to the tree, AVM, MRS, and tree comparison windows.

the LOGON tree now includes these patches, but before we can make them
part of the official LinGO builds, i think there should be testing for
Japanese and Korean.  francis, jong-bok, and professor yang, could you
between yourselves give these patches a whirl (which requires at least
one of you holding a license for ACL)?  please note that i think it may
be important to get the shell LANG variable and the ACL-internal locale
into harmony; furthermore, i suspect the ACL locale must be set before
the first CLIM window is created, e.g. at Lisp start-up.  this can be
accomplished by running, e.g.

  alisp -I clim -locale ja_JP.UTF-8

it seems the latest CLIM patches are not yet on the official download
page for ACL patches.  since we pressed Franz a little, it would seem
best if we can get feedback to them as soon as possible.

if at all possible, i would recommend everyone to use UTF-8 these days.
it is quickly becoming the de-facto standard, and it can make it a lot
easier to get all software to agree on the correct encoding ...

                                                   best wishes  -  oe

+++ Universitetet i Oslo (IFI); Boks 1080 Blindern; 0316 Oslo; (+47) 2284 0125
+++     CSLI Stanford; Ventura Hall; Stanford, CA 94305; (+1 650) 723 0515
+++       --- oe at ifi.uio.no; oe at csli.stanford.edu; stephan at oepen.net ---

[--- start of forwarded message ---]