[developers] type addenda and :< in TDL

Rebecca Dridan bec.dridan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:22:27 CET 2008

Hi all,

Recently I have been playing with type addenda (using :+) to make some
systematic changes to LE types (so far in ERG only).  I've run in to a
few cases where the original type was defined with :< rather than :=,
and hence won't allow modification.  This seems to be by design, since
the distinction is built in to both LKB and PET, but I'm not sure if it
is still intended to mean such.  My initial queries to Those Who Know
said that := and :< are equivalent, and :< is a historical artifact.

Is there anyone currently using :< to mean 'don't allow features on this
type' (or to mean anything else)? Is there any reason to keep this
distinction?

Rebecca