[developers] LOGON communication error?

Francis Bond fcbond at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:40:20 CEST 2009

2009/5/7 Joshua Hou <jshou at u.washington.edu>:
> Hello Developers,
>
> I'm trying to kick off a web-MT demo for English to Lillooet that has
> worked previously, but I'm running into some errors.  The logfile
> displays a communication error:
>
> TSNLP(3): T
> TSNLP(4): 5
> TSNLP(5):
>  initialize-cpus(): `uakari.ling.washington.edu' communication error <-6>.
>
> In the past, this usually meant I had not started PVM, or something with
> PVM was not running.  However, PVM seems to be running.  Any clues on
> where to poke?

Is the hostname right?
---
(tsdb::tsdb :cpu :jacy :file t)
initialize-cpus(): `merlot' communication error [-6].

This normally means that the hostname is wrong. Check using pvm what
hosts pvmd thinks are available. A common mistake is to use merlot
instead of merlot.domain.county or the other way round.
---
from http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/ItsdbTroubleshooting

--
Francis Bond <http://www2.nict.go.jp/x/x161/en/member/bond/>