[developers] error with fresh LKB installation on fresh Ubuntu

Glenn Slayden glenn at thai-language.com
Sun May 10 02:23:14 CEST 2009

On a new, fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 (x86) "jaunty", I set up a new LKB
installation from the new repository at lingo-delph-in.net, following the
new instructions at http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbInstallation.

After the LKB Top podium loads, attempting to load any grammar (including
simple toy English) fails with:

"Error: xm_string_get_l_to_r failed while converting xm-string resource"

This message appears in the LkbTop main window area, and it occurs when
running LKB from within emacs, or standalone. Screenshot of the error:
http://www.glennslayden.com/webshare/lkb-error.png

The Open Motif package 'libmotif3' is installed, version 2.2.3-44.

Results of 'find / | grep libXm*' :
http://www.glennslayden.com/webshare/find.txt

I get no errors with trollet, which I believe has its own, older version of
the LKB built-in.

Many thanks,

Glenn