[developers] Mysterious Japanese grammar hang

W.P. McNeill (UW) billmcn at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 23 18:17:39 CEST 2009

More specifics on this bug:
I used to have the Japanese grammar under the following path:

~/corpora/Tanaka/tc-070707/jp070707

This used to be fine, but suddenly it stopped working in the manner
described upthread.

Francis fixed this problem by moving the directory to:

~/jp070707

It is not clear why this should have fixed the problem.  The one interesting
thing about the file system is that the corpora directory on my machine
contains many softlinks:

$ ll ~/corpora/
total 5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 billmcn billmcn 36 Jul 22 17:23 LDC-parses ->
/corpora/LDC/LDC99T42/RAW/parsed/mrg
drwxr-xr-x 3 billmcn billmcn  3 Feb 17 17:14 Tanaka
lrwxrwxrwx 1 billmcn billmcn 22 Jul 22 17:23 treebank-2 ->
/corpora/LDC/LDC95T07/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 billmcn billmcn 21 Jul 22 17:23 treebank-3 ->
/corpora/LDC/LDC99T42
lrwxrwxrwx 1 billmcn billmcn 39 Jul 22 17:23 wsj ->
/corpora/LDC/LDC95T07/RAW/combined/wsj/

This targets of these softlinks exist, but the softlinks were broken,
presumably because of some recent NFS changes on our system.

This is not a problem with the Japanese grammar or DELPH-IN tools, but it
may be useful to keep this in mind as a way in which NFS problems may hurt
the functioning of these tools.

--
W.P. McNeill
http://staff.washington.edu/billmcn/index.shtml