[developers] results after edge limit reached?

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Sat Aug 15 10:44:57 CEST 2009

jeff,

i have no source code accessible right now, but i'm pretty sure that
PET vs. the LKB differ in this respect.  from the profiling point of
view, i (used to) think that items that hit any kind of resource limit
should be flagged (readings = -1) and excluded from many of the [incr
tsdb()] statistics.  years ago, stefan müller argued forcefully for
results that had been found at that point to be returned,
nevertheless, which is what PET implements today.  note that the time-
out is recorded in the error field alright, but seeing that the search
for analyses was not complete, selective unpacking cannot guaratee
returning the correct n-best list.  in the LKB, on the other hand,
time-outs are signalled (internally) by raising an exception.  in
these cases, control is returned immediately to [incr tsdb()], and no
attempt is made at enumerating solutions.  hence, i would expect that
you are seeing the results of a complete search whenever readings >=
0.  this should be true of parsing and generation alike (in the LKB).

all best, oe

On Aug 14, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Michael Wayne Goodman <goodmami at u.washington.edu