[developers] Chart pruning: update

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 20 20:54:39 CEST 2010

Hi Stephan -

While experimenting with the added chart-pruning facility in the main cheap branch, I remembered that I had never sent you the cpu definition I'm using with pruning for the ERG.  Since I discovered by trial and error that it's important to include the "-cm" option (for reasons I do not fully understand), I thought it worthwhile to send you this definition, even so belatedly, which works pretty well for me using the current head revision of the LOGON universe and the trunk version of the grammar in $LOGONROOT/lingo/terg:

     (make-cpu
      :host (short-site-name)
      :spawn cheap
      :options (list "-n" "-tsdb" "-yy" "-packing"
                     "-cm" "-default-les=all"
                     "-memlimit=1024" "-timeout=60"
		     "-cp=p400"
                     (registry:lookup :terg "~a~a~a" :ln :rt :cp))
      :preprocessor '("lkb::repp-for-pet"
                      :repp :tokenizer :calls (:xml :ascii :quotes))
      :tagger (list :tnt tnt at wsj :n 2) :reader "tsdb::yy-read-input"
      :class :terg-cp :grammar erg :name "pet"
      :task '(:parse)  :flags '(:generics t)
      :wait wait :quantum quantum)

Here the interesting options are "-n" to invoke the chart-pruning facility in cheap, and "-cp=p400" to restrict the pruning to passive edges with a chart cell limit of 400.  I would be glad to see this definition added to $LOGONROOT/dot.tsdbrc and I'd be glad to see what other grammar developers are using.

Best,

  Dan