[developers] PET regression testing

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Fri Jul 8 14:07:47 CEST 2011

G'day,

I am afraid I don't have a test harness in place, but would be willing
to invest some time in helping set one up.  I don't think I can be the
lead on this, but can definitely contribute test data.

> sorry for coming back with the same things again and again, but i'm
> in desperate need for a means of doing regression tests with PET.

What kinds of tests do you think we need?

> In my PET source tree, there are quite a lot of changes lying around
> (among them an updated version of -tdsbdump, which might be interesting
> to Francis) which i don't dare checking in because i'm not sure if
> the old functionality is preserved.
>
> I'd be happy if somebody would give me an *easy* way to do that, or
> would be willing to do the tests, given she/he has already set up
> something, maybe for a different purpose.
>
> I hate to say that, but with the very limited amount of time i can
> invest in the development of PET, not having an automatic test harness
> that does free more human resources than it requires, brings my
> efforts almost to a halt.
>
> Any volunteers to work on that (maybe collaborately)?
>
> Enough whining for today,

s/whining/pointing out the need for important infrastructure/

and it won't be enough until we've done it.

--
Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies