[developers] Font defaults in web demo

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at linguist.jussieu.fr
Mon Nov 12 13:05:09 CET 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 15:25 +0100, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
> Dear Stephan and others,
>
> the current version of the online web demo CSS style specifies some
> default fonts (helvetica, arial, sans-serif) which are know for their
> limited unicode support.
>
> For Hausa, in particular, I need composing diacritics and the so-called
> hooked letters (ɓ, ɗ, ƙ) which are very poorly supported ion these
> fonts.
>
> I would therefore like to suggest to keep these fonts as fall-back, but
> to precede them with a reference to freely available Unicode fonts, such
> as Charis SIL and Doulos SIL, which have good support for any latin
> script. I have tested on MacOX X (with and without Charis SIL), Linux
> (with Charis) and Windows XP (with Charis), and the results look fine.

DejaVu Sans also looks like a good candidate (good Unicode coverage,
good combining diacritics, widely installed on Linux).

If you want to inspect the issue, try

"malam yana zuwa" in hag.linguist.univ-paris-diderot.fr and regenerate.

Berthold

--
Berthold Crysmann
CNRS - Laboratoire de Linguistique Formelle (UMR 7110) - Paris Diderot