[developers] Font defaults in web demo

Joshua Crowgey jcrowgey at uw.edu
Mon Nov 12 19:14:57 CET 2012

One option which has crept up in the past few years is the ability to
distribute a font file with your hypertext.

The method is to put an @font-face statement in your CSS:

@font-face {
     font-family: thisfont;
     src: url("path/to/thisfont.ttf");
     font-weight:400;
}

Then refer to the font-family as is typical in CSS styling:

Maybe this is a useful technique for linguists.  I think drawbacks would
be that the font file is downloaded so if the file is very big, it could
slow down your page rendering significantly.

--Joshua