[developers] Fwd: [delph-in] ICONS with ACE

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Fri Nov 16 02:10:27 CET 2012

Dear all,

Just following up on Sanghoun's message below, I wanted to paste in
the specs that we had originally put together:

====
The behavior we would like to see is partially documented
in the files eng.txt and jpn.txt (in the attached tarball), which
associate input sentences (for parsing) with the realizations
the generator currently finds. Among those, we have marked the
ones we would like to not see.

In general, the idea is that for any given pair of indices, if there
is an ICONS element in the MRS associated with a realization
that realization is valid iff:

--- There is no ICONS element associated with the same pair
of indices in the input; or
--- Any ICONS element associated with the same pair of indices
in the input is compatible in its type with the ICONS element
in the candidate realization.

(I'm not sure as I type this what to do about cases where there
are multiple ICONS elements for the same pair of indices.  As far
as information structure is concerned, we wouldn't expect to have
more than one.  Of course, if we're putting other stuff into ICONS,
then there might be ICONS constraints of different types. All
of the above would then be only applicable to subtypes of info-str.)
====

Woodley and I had a little bit of a follow-up discussion, which
resulted in the following conclusion:

====
I see that the condition you describe could be summarized as "the
input ICONS list and the realization's ICONS list are unifiable",
under a reasonable extension of the term.
====

Then Woodley did some magic, and ACE now treats ICONS the
way we would like them to be treated.  Woodley, can you reconstruct
what further decisions you had to make to operationalize the
specs above?

Thanks,
Emily