[developers] Subsumption check

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Mon Jun 10 18:41:26 CEST 2013

Thanks, Woodley.

[Moving this to `developers', because I think others might be interested,
and because I'd be interested in input from a broader audience, too.]

Regarding the first point:  As I understand it, doing the subsumption check
"outside" --- in the external, 'MRS' universe --- requires that the sem-i
mirror all subsumption relations between types used in variable properties
and between underspecified and fully specified PRED values that the
grammar also has internally.  Is there some other reason that we want
to be doing this?  (E.g., is there any reason an external MRS-producing
component would need this info?)  If not, then I think the case can be
made that the determination of whether a string satisfied the requirements
handed to the generator is a question to be handled grammar-internally.
Having to maintain the same information in two places (grammar and
sem-i) is just asking for bugs.  Alternatively, if we could create this part
of the sem-i fully automatically, then the maintenance question disappears.

Emily