[developers] Problem with transfer rules referencing ARG0 type or features

Berthold Crysmann berthold.crysmann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 19:06:01 CEST 2013

On 02/07/13 18:59, Woodley Packard wrote:
> Dear Berthold,
>
> test2_mtr stipulates [ SF pres ] while the MRS you showed exhibits [
> SF prop ].

Sorry that was a stupid editing error in the mail buffer.

I tested with both TENSE pres and SF prop.

But thanks for pointing this out.

> Do prop and pres stand in a subsumption relation in your grammar (I
> guess that would be unusual)?
They don't and the values are restricted enough to not let this happen.

>   Or did you perhaps mean to write [ SF prop ] on the transfer rule?

Yes I did...

> Woodley
>
> On 07/02/2013 06:21 AM, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
>> Dear Stephan and all,
>>
>> I am currently starting a new transfer grammar (frde) that builds on
>> an older baby-MT pair (ende). For some strange reason, I cannot get a
>> rule  to match that specifies an event type for ARG0 , or, more
>> interesting a variable property like TENSE or SF.
>> Matching against (string) predicates, however, tends to work. Also,
>> matching on x or variable properties like [NUM sg] poses no problem.
>>
>> Here's a minimal pair:
>>

>> test1_mtr :=
>>           monotonic_mtr &
>>           [INPUT.RELS  <[ARG0 x & [NUM sg ]]>,
>>            OUTPUT.RELS < +copy+ & [ARG0 [NUM pl]] >].

Should have been:

test2_mtr :=
           monotonic_mtr &
           [INPUT.RELS  <[ARG0 [SF prop ]]>,
            OUTPUT.RELS < +copy+ & [ARG0 [SF ques]] >].

Here's a screenshot showing what's used, what works and what doesn't
(test2_mtr is there but does not fire).

So the problem is real! Any help is mostly appreciated because that
problem is crippling me at the moment.

Berthold

--
Berthold Crysmann <crysmann at linguist.jussieu.fr>
CNRS, Laboratoire de linguistique formelle (UMR 7110), U Paris Diderot