[developers] generation bug in Agree - "are not permitted to look you."

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Sun Dec 1 00:24:20 CET 2013

> once we have unexpressed arguments, i would think there
> is no formal difference between [ ..., ARGn u, ... ] vs. just no
> mention of that ARGn role, or?

On the contrary, a formal difference is exactly what there is.  It may well be that by interpretation you mean to assign no difference in truth conditions (or whatever else) to those predicates, but their *form* is certainly different.

On Francis's point, I believe he meant to recall the point that predicates in the underlying logical language are presumably fixed arity, and having multiple MRS-level predicates with the same name but different arities (or argument types) is opening the door to confusion (as for example happened when Agree was confused, starting this thread).  I will readily agree that being able to underspecify between target-language predicates may be a useful bit of functionality; however, the problem here seems perhaps to be *unintentional* underspecification.

That brings up the related question of what the logical status of a "u" variable is?

Woodley