[developers] Roots in ACE output

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:50:28 CEST 2014

Probably mainly a question for Dan - are there any cases where you
need overlapping root structures other than the case where there's a
subsumption hierarchy between them?  And, if so, why?  (and what
behaviour do you expect with respect to treating the root structure as part
of the derivation, given that it's non-deterministic which root to
choose?)

I can formalise the case where there are disjoint root structures (i.e.,
they are all mutually non-unifiable). I believe I can also formalise the
case where there are
subsumption relationships between all the root structures.  The
way I'm doing this relies on the assumption that this corresponds to
multiple grammars (sharing rules and lexical entries) and for this case it
does make sense to record the root structure used in the derivation
(formally it's a way of recording which grammar you're using at the time).
I could also deal with disjoint subsumption hierarchies with that trick -
i.e., there are a set of `top' root structures r1,0 to rn,0 which are
mutually disjoint, and any other root structure has to be subsumed by one
of those structures.

I'll happily write the squiggles if this does cover all the use cases, and
then we can talk about whether this corresponds to a desirable behaviour or
not.

Best,

Ann