[developers] LOGON and java

Joshua Crowgey jcrowgey at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 25 20:53:04 CET 2014

Hi developers,

When I put the recommended LOGON lines into my .bashrc I find that the
java on my $PATH points to a delph-in specific version:

#
# include LOGON-specific settings
#
LOGONROOT=~/ling/delphin/logon
if [ -f ${LOGONROOT}/dot.bashrc ]; then
   . ${LOGONROOT}/dot.bashrc
fi

jcrowgey at cedrus:~/ling/delphin/matrix$ which java
/home/jcrowgey/ling/delphin/logon/bin/java

I use these LOGON settings when I want to start LKB in emacs. However I
can't leave these settings turned on because the repointing of java to
$LOGONROOT/bin/java doesn't seem to be integrated with other tools using
java on my system.  So I guess my questions is a two-parter.  The first
part is simply practical: (1) is there a way to set up LKB to work in
emacs without messing with java settings?  The second part is for my own
education: (2) Are there some java programs in LOGON?  If yes, I'm still
curious why LOGON is distributing a java binary and not simply allowing
users to run their own java.

Thanks a million!

--Joshua