[developers] Reduplication in morpholgy

Berthold Crysmann berthold.crysmann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:26:33 CEST 2015

Hi Francis,

I guess you only worry about total reduplication. While in principle in
Chinese you could get away with using string unification (thanks to the
script, word length is limited), but specifying the letter set will not
be much for for either humans or machines....

I am currently working on total reduplication in my Hausa grammar. I had
a first solution that is non-compositional in the semantics. I.e. I just
use a binary rule that glues the stuff together, conditioned on identity
of predicates, but throws away the semantic contribution in the
reduplicant. Works in parsing, but needs *item-specific* trigger rules
in generation.

Right now, I am exploring with ersatzing. Things should work well as
long as only one of the reduplicants undergoes additional morphology.
Otherwise, you'll have to memoise parts of the original string, so you
can apply regular morphophonological changes to the reduplicant. Seems
to work in the LKB.

I shall commit that new analysis very soon. I shall also send you a
detailed description.

Cheers,

Berthold

--
Berthold Crysmann <crysmann at linguist.jussieu.fr>
CNRS, Laboratoire de linguistique formelle (UMR 7110), U Paris Diderot