[developers] labels, anchors and handles, oh my! (and ARG0s too)

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 13:51:29 CET 2015

looks like I just replied to Joshua, rather than to the list, so here's
my reply pasted below.  One more thing to add - there is perhaps some
attraction to taking advantage of the ERG's proliferation of
quantifiers.  We could give each noun a new ARG0 as its characteristic
variable which corresponds to an eventuality (paraphrasable as `the
state of being a teacher' for instance - it would be natural for
adjectives like `former' to take this as an argument), making nouns look
like adjectives, and make the old ARG0 of the noun the characteristic
variable of the quantifiers.  This is nice in that variables in
conventional logics are doing two rather different jobs - one being to
tie predicates together, and the other to allow quantifiers to be
interpreted - associating the variable with the quantifier would perhaps
make this clearer. However, this would mean the DMRS looked even less
like ordinary dependencies than they do now, and mean the rather
surprising quantifiers like pron_q take centre stage in the structures.

Ann